Getting familiar with your host family

Hey Folks! I'm back again after a hot minute!

Today I wanna talk about a topic that probably everyone that is in the process of exchanging in a future year is concerned about: Getting familiar with your future host family.
I will talk about the thoughts I had beforehand however also about how it actually was and went and how it currently is. 

First of all, there's absolutely no reason you've to be worried about. It's totally normal to be concerned and thoughtful about this topic, and I mean hey it's gonna be awkward in the beginning for sure but that's just how it works. Also, a fact that might calm you a little is that your family is anxious as well. They want to make you feel as comfortable as possible; and you know what? They want you as a part of their family which means they will help you make it feel less awkward.

Two things that really helped me getting familiar with my family are:

1. Imagine it would be your own family. In situations where you are clueless and you don't know what to do just imagine this situation was at home. Think about what you'd do if that was your family. It will really help you.

2. Try to figure out what kind of person your host family is. They want to get to know you and your culture. You should also show your interest and start conversations with them. They'd totally love that! Because that's the reason why they wanted an exchange student, right? Ask them questions about theirselves, their past, tell them stories about your life, and things from home.

When I first came here to my family it was kind of awkward, I'm not gonna lie. However, after a few weeks we got closer and got to know each other and now it is totally perfect. I mean yes, every now and then we fight or struggle but that's what every family does. It is just amazing to have the opportunity to basically have a second family because that's what it actually is.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to become an exchange student

Story Time

Travel interview